Hats by Rachel is an Irish millinery business. All headpieces, as well as their features, are fully handmade and handstitched using traditional millinery techniques. All materials used are vegan-friendly, including feathers which are naturally molted.
The Reverse Chronological Journey
- Part-time Fashion Design Course
2022 to Date
- Competitions: Tullamore Agricultural Show - Runner-up in Best Dressed Lady Category with Medium Pop Art Headpiece
- Custom Orders: 1940s Vintage Rose Turban, Bridal Headpiece, Mother of Bride Headpiece, Wedding Guest Orders
- Collections: "Pop Art"
- Competitions: HATalk E-Mag "Through the Archives"
- Courses: Freeform Sinamay 5-day (Tracy Chaplin Millinery); Millinery Headbands (Millistar)
- Collections: "Through the Windowpane", "Red Velvet", "Eternal", "Feathered", "Fancy Dress & Festivals", "Hairbands, Crowns and Combs"
- Custom Services & Bespoke Services Launched: Mother of Bride and Wedding Guest Custom Orders
- Instagram Daily Themes
- Store Space Display
- Tie Dying Service Launched
Lead-up to Business Launch
- September 2019 to January 2021: Self-learning and development of millinery skills. Official launch Jan' 2021.
- September 2019: Week-long one-to-one course with Dublin milliner Laura Kinsella (hat blocking and finishing skills through fabrication of three hats of differing type and material.)
The College Years:
(Masters in Structural Engineering with Architecture, UCD)
- Mad Hatter Competition, October Horse Fair Ballinasloe, judged by local milliner Ana Victoria Mulcahy: Alice in Wonderland themed top hat (1st place)
- Ballinasloe October Horse Fair Millinery Competition; White hat featuring curved wicker and hanging origami – a play on the theme of silhouettes.
- Leaving Cert Art project: Felt hat on theme of "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness". (A2 grade)
- Transition Year 'Form and Fusion' ('Junk Kouture') Competition; huge sellotape hat and outfit (category prize, All-Ireland Finals, Point Depot).
- Wave hat from newspaper, wire, shells and spray paint, 1st year art competition (1st place).
Being from the same town as Philip Treacy and having a love of art made it easy for me to fall in love with the art that is Millinery.
Get in Touch
Woodmount, Ballinasloe, Co. Roscommon, H53 K589
+353 (0)86 1655157